Frequently Asked Questions

What is the function of an RCD?

Since 1975 in the Netherlands according to NEN 1010, it is mandatory to install an RCD for new and modified house installations. But why is an RCD switch actually required? An RCD circuit breaker constantly monitors whether no current is leaking. For example, current may leak when a short circuit occurs. In those cases, the RCD will switch off the power within a few milliseconds so that no fire can occur. It is important that the RCD is checked for operation from time to time.

What if water has fallen on the socket?

The first thing to do is to unplug the power cord. If little water has fallen over, then there is probably no short circuit. The socket got to to dry well. If a lot of water has fallen on the socket, you will probably get a short circuit. The plug must first be disconnected from the mains, then replace the fuse and you can switch the appliance on again.

How do I prevent short circuits in my household appliances?

Household appliances can be very flammable, so we must prevent a fire. One of the most important things you can do to prevent this is to turn off the devices, standby is often not good for the device. With appliances such as a refrigerator and washing machine you can also do a number of things to prevent a fire. You should ventilate the back of your refrigerator, because the material behind the cupboard can easily catch fire. For example, you can check the tap shut-off at your washing machine. There are of course many more ways to prevent a fire.

What to do in the event of a power failure?

When you discover a power outage, it's important to check what power outage is going on. We distinguish two types of power outages. On the one hand there is the external power failure, on the other there is the internal power failure.     
     With an external power failure, the cause of the power failure is outside. There may be a malfunction at the supplier, a cable hit during excavation work or a fire in an electrical box.     
     In the event of an internal power failure, the cause lies indoors. There has been a short circuit, a fuse has been overloaded or there has been a leak. You would now be wise to hire an electrician.

Can I clean my outlet?

A outlet should be cleaned with great care. Make sure that no moisture gets in the contacts. This moisture can hardly go away and can cause a short circuit and fire.     
     It is best to clean the socket with a slightly damp cloth after you have switched off the power. The sockets are often made of smooth material, so that they can be cleaned without using any cleaning agents. Make sure that no moisture gets into the socket under any circumstances.